The following recipe is from ,The River Cafe Cook Book’ by Rose Gray and Ruth Rogers.
|Pumpkin||1.5 kg||seeded and diced into 5cm cubes|
|Potatoes||150 g||peeled and diced|
|Red onions (small)||2||finely chopped|
|Garlic||2 cloves||cut into slivers|
|Chicken stock||1 litre|
|Fresh Majoram||4 large sprigs|
|Olive oil||3 tbsp|
|Parmesan to serve|
- This is a very thick soup.
- Vegetable broth instead of chicken broth works as well.
- The original recipe recommends serving with Crostini (Ciabatt bread + garlic + olive oil)
- Variation according to original recipe (which I haven’t tried yet): add 150g cooked canelli beans when you add the pumpkin. Reserve some whole ones to add to the final puree.
- Heat oil and butter in a large, heavy saucepan and gently fry the onion until soft.
- Stir in the garlic, majoram leaves, pumpkin and potatoe.
- Season with chili (optional), salt and pepper.
- Add enough stock to just covver the pumpkin.
- Simmer until until the pumpkin is tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Option 1 (simpler and preferred):
- Mix entire soup using a hand blender.
- Option 2 (original recipe):
- Strain about a third of the stock from the pumpkin and set aside
- Mix remainder in a food processor (very thick!)
- Return to saucepan and add back the stock you removed.
- Serve with Parmesan and Crostini