|Cabbage / Weißkohl / Spitzkohl||1|
|Sugar||5 Tbsp or 50 gr|
|Pepper||to taste or 1 tsp|
|Olive oil||150 ml|
|Carbonated water||700 ml|
- If possible, use shallots instead of regular onions.
- The original recipe (CK/Brigitte) calls for the above liquid amounts which seems to assume a very large cabbage. For a small cabbage (especially Spitzkohl), use approx half.
- The original recipe calls for 1 cup sugar.
- One alternative recipe found online calls for 200ml Olive Oil, 500ml Vingar, 2l water and 5 Tbsp sugar (with a 1.5kg cabbage).
- For Vinegar, ‘Käuteressig’ should be used. Cider vingar / ‘Apfelessig’ has also worked well.
- Finely chop or grate cabbage
- Thinly slice onions and mix with cabbage
- Mix remaining ingredients to a dressing
- Add dressing to cabbage and toss
- Place a plate with weights atop the cabbage and let sit 24h
- Tip out fluids and serve